Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 11:15 PM   #36
powerboatr

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It’s a fine line balancing between higher costs and capabilities in my opinion. If the RV has enough battery capacity so it doesn’t need a generator as a backup, then it needs extremely high recharging rate to get the batteries charged back up in short period. That’s tough on a system with 36,000 Watt-hour of usable capacity.

On the other hand, if you’re going to include a generator anyway as a backup, then why spend so much on that much battery capacity? Granted, if the cost is indeed around $300 per kWh (or lower) as Jamie reports, then 36 kWh is under $11,000, so the high system cost is coming from somewhere else.

The difference between $125,000 for this lithium system seems out of proportion with what Winnebago charges, about $20,000, for the much smaller Travato system. And even that seems high to me.

Personally, I like the idea of having just enough batteries to boondock overnight, assuming you’re going to be driving next day to recharge. Initially that’s where I see the sweet spot between cost and capabilities, or most bang for the buck.
you hit a high point. it has an extra engine driven alternator to try to recharge. i could see a CG inquiring about how long to recharge, when you you have 100 amps of a/c power and over half that is just to run the equipment in the coach.

its a big battery bank and the earlier items on it suggested days of running the roof top a/c units. but at 125K i would stick with a 8k watt genny or 10k watt

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum