Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2019, 04:33 AM   #12
Gebills

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy
State: Arizona
THOR #12461
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
Ok, my pucker factor is increasing... I’m considering buying my first RV this week. If the test ride and price are right, I’ll be driving it home (1200 miles)

I’ve got Eire vehicle insurance and they’ll add the RV for about $1000 per year. That’ll cover me for an accident.

I’ve got AAA Plus and plan to add the RV coverage for $36 per year (may even splurge for Premier). That’ll cover me (somewhat) for roadside assistance.

I’ve seen mixed reviews for AAA, Good Sam roadside Assistance, FMCA Roadside assistance and a couple others.

I want to be confident that if I break down, I can get a tow / repair / gas... If a tire blows I want to be confident that they’ll bring a replacement (I don’t plan on carrying a spare - or should I?).

What additional coverages should I get?

The insurance coverage a person carries, many times isn’t simply better or worse than another. I found that at a recent breakdown over in Kentucky last month where I waited for 7 1/2 hours for a tow truck to show up, that it wasn’t necessarily the insurance carrier that I had, but it was of the network of tow truck operators operate and their work load. I initially called my good Sam roadside assist insurance at 10 AM one morning. That was followed by another call to the same number again at 11 AM with not much more than lipservice for a response. After beginning to feel like good Sam was not making any effort toward getting me a tow truck, I called Mercedes-Benz national number and that’s when I begin to see results. Even though Mercedes instigated getting tow truck service I was still at the mercy of numerous tow truck operators that kept shifting us off to another tow company because they simply didn’t have the manpower to take care of all of their business. Finally at about 4:30 PM that afternoon the owner of a tow truck company about 60 miles away arrived with his pick up just to make me feel comfortable that he was making an effort to get one of his tow trucks on scene. While he was there he explained to me that the original contract to pick my motorhome up was sent to him by another company that he did not know, but he explained that many times the tow truck companies would take on work that they couldn’t handle and simply don’t show up. This guy stayed on scene until one of his tow trucks finally arrived at around 5:30 PM that afternoon. By the time we were rigged up to tow, it was around 7:30 PM and then we had to head south to Nashville 120 miles away. We finally made it to the dealer around 9:45 PM that night. The point of order here is that once any insurance carrier issues a contract to tow a vehicle, you’re at the mercy of the tow truck operators.

In the end my good Sam insurance wasn’t worth the paper it was written on. They did absolutely nothing in securing a tow truck for me. Mercedes-Benz stepped up to the plate, got a tow contract issued and got me the tow truck, and by the way, Mercedes footed the bill for the 120 mile tow down to Nashville. Did I mention that the temperature that day was 95°F. Although we didn’t have a running engine, we did have a generator that ran on propane which powered the motorhome air conditioner. Thank God for small wonders. So although I have a Good Sam Roadside Assistance policy which has proved to be absolutely worthless, if I go back out on the road again I’ll have to make sure I have some other credible roadside insurance to cover me.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum