Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 06:46 PM   #14
vmachnig

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29J
State: Florida
THOR #12972
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1951 View Post
Looking to build a couple extensions made from 1/4" diamond aluminum plate. I want to fasten a cleat to the floor of my extension/deck. Does anyone have any idea what sort of material is beneath the skin of the floor on the ramp? I'm hoping it's some sort of marine grade plywood, as I plan on fastening the cleat with 1-1/2" wood screws. Anybody have any ideas, or had any experience attaching anything to the inside of the ramp?

I don't know what you are going to be loading so not sure if what I did will work. I bought a tri-fold ramp from HF and then reinforced it to handle the weight of my motorcycles. I also made a set of (4) 12" legs out of 3/4" threaded rod and drilled out one bolt hole in each bumper on the door to accommodate them. I bolted a 3/4" threaded rod connector into each one from the inside with bolts that would only go half way into the threaded rod connector and this gives me plenty of thread to screw in the legs. I only put the legs in hand tight so I take them off after each use and store them in the compartment. the ramp I purchased from Harbor Freight is:

Haul-Master

1500 lb. Capacity Tri-Fold Aluminum Loading Ramp

The capacity is mis-leading in that any one of the three ramps can only handle 500lbs. I re-enforced each tread with a piece of 3/16" aluminum and pop riveted them on the underside and I also re-enforced each of the rails on the center ramp with solid aluminum square which a then inserted into the rails and also pop riveted in place. My bike iv over 850lbs. and I'm 250lbs. and it handles it just fine. I've attached a couple pics of the legs and if you want I can take some pics of what I did to the ramp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1102191423.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	21235   Click image for larger version

Name:	1102191423a.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	21236  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1102191423b.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	21237  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum