Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: 39TKSB3 Talk
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #102
Cummins12V98

Brand: DRV
Model: 39TKSB3 "Modified"
State: South Dakota
THOR #1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12 View Post
I had wanted DRV to install the third axle when the MS was being built but Kyle Miller wouldn't OK it. He did allow the frame to be beefed up to support the motorcycle lift.

I talked to Andrew at Mor/Ryde but he told me that they couldn't do it. That was BS on his part. Talking with Gary Wheeler at Mor/ryde a year later to order the axle and he said they could easily do it and would add the third one for me but since I was in RI at the time I opted to have my local garage do the work. Gary had no problem with that but was concerned that I have the alignment correct.

The wheel wells need to be cut for new fender flares and the rear jacks need to be moved back about 2 feet.

As for total cost I can only give a guess since I can't find all the invoices I had for the job.

Two wheels and tires from Trailer Tires and Wheels in Ohio shipped to RI $1360.

Labor to install axle $747

Miscellaneous parts for the install including brake lines, hydraulic hoses and fittings, etc. $588

Axle from Mor/ryde with disc brakes in the neighborhood of $1500, I think less than $2000. No invoice on this. Check with Gary at Mor/Ryde.

The wheel well or fender flares. From DRV. About $160 and almost as much to ship since they are over length at about 8 feet long. I cut the wheel well myself with electric tin snips.

Mounting brackets from Lippert for the rear jacks. I don't remember the cost. The old brackets can probably be reused if they are cut off properly.

If DRV had been willing to install the axle the cost would have been a lot less so they kind of ticked me off on that since they make models with three axles all the time.
That is what I needed thanks!!!

I asume the third axle is mounded directly behind the other two since there is no room to move the front axle ahead.

I don't think the third axle really has much to do with pin weight they are there to carry the load that;s already there.

I will be sure to talk to Gary Wheeler.

IMHO DRV can be a PITA when it comes to some changes and others surprise me they allow.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum