Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #17
DenverTransplant

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
What type of Converter / Charger do you have and are you sure they are getting a full charge from your Converter / Charger?

The above advice should be followed but you do want to make sure Charger is doing it's job.

Also, I replaced the stock WFCO Converter / Charger in my coach with a Progressive Dynamics model that has an Equalization Mode that kicks in every 21 hours for a period of 15 minutes with a voltage of 14.4v to prevent battery stratification & sulfation, which is the leading cause of battery failure.

Progressive Dynamics uses 4-stage system microprocessor technology to add intelligent charging capability. It constantly monitors the RV battery and automatically adjusts the converter output voltage based on the battery’s charge status – designed to eliminate battery over & under charging problems associated with most other battery chargers and provide rapid yet safe battery recharging after dry camping.

I also use a Solar Charge Controller that also has the Equalization Mode.

If you make an investment in good deep cycle batteries and you want them to last and give you the best possible performance, I would also look at making sure your Converter / Charger offers the Equalization Mode.
The OEM batteries on our ACE 30.1 lasted less than 6 months. The batteries Thor uses are the cheapest they can find, plus who knows how old they are and how they got abused on the dealer's lot. There are reports in this forum about Harris refusing warranty coverage by blaming the WFCO converter as the reason their batteries fail.

I also replaced my WFCO converter with a Progressive Dynamics 4500 slide in replacement at the same time I replaced the POS Harris batteries with a pair of Interstate 6V batteries (and got 50% more capacity). I also have also installed 200 Watts of solar on the roof with a Bogart SC-2030 solar charger. Prior to that I used a portable 120 W suitcase solar unit while boon docking and when in storage.

The Interstates have been perfect for 2-1/2 years. Hardly need water and the solar keeps them charged in storage.The Bogart unit doesn't overcharge the batteries and has automatic equalization. It interfaces with our Trimetric battery monitor for programming and detailed performance data.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.