Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
Vibeman

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
Electronic Gremlins in 29M?

This is really weird.
We bought a used 2020 Hurricane 29M 3 weeks ago, (1300 miles) due to current Michigan weather it has not left our driveway since I drove it home. Yesterday was relatively mild so I spent some time in the coach trying out the various systems. I started the engine, deployed the stabilizer pads, extended the slide, ran the furnace, the TV, the NAV system, turned lights on/off all while connected to shore power. The batteries were fully charged so I unplugged from shore power, started the inverter then ran the furnace, the TV, the lights, the power step, the NAV, the wifi booster. The coach was unplugged from shore power for about 5 hours and during that entire time I was inside, the lights were on and the furnace cycled numerous times to keep it warm. Before going back into the house for the evening I reconnected to shore power so batteries would recharge, I turned off the furnace and all lights. It was dark so I known all lights were off and nothing was running. The only sound inside the coach when I left was the fan on the power converter.
Now here is the weird part:
I'm an early riser so I was up before dawn this morning and when I looked out at the coach the awning lights were on and the inside lights were on! I went out to investigate and found the furnace was running, the water pump was running (winterized so no water) the bathroom exhaust fan was running, the awning was partially extended 10 " or so. I looked at the central control panel and there was a triangle fault symbol flashing but no text or red lights to indicate what the fault was. Looking at the G9 output screen it indicated the water heater was on electric AND gas (it was on, I felt the tank and it was hot, again no water) it showed the awning was extended AND retracted, it showed the tank heat pads were on (could not confirm), the "RR compressor" was on (not sure about this, if it means the rear AC compressor is on then it can't be, because I don't have a rear AC unit. The real kicker is that I am SURE the generator had 3.? hours on it last night and this morning it shows 4.2 hours! I have never even run the generator since I bought it!
The generator engine was not warm so if it did run in the night it was at least a couple of hours earlier. There may have been a few other strange things, but this post is getting long and I think you get the idea.
So I shut everything down manually that I could from the control panel, then disconnected from shore power and switched off the main battery disconnect. Everything was now off, even the control panel screen. I waited about 1 minute then turned the battery switch back on. The control panel lit up and all the G9 outputs were now off and the only G9 input on was the park brake as it should be, because the brake was engaged. Then I went back in for breakfast. As soon as I am done with this post I am going back out and plug back into shore power and see what happens.
Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?
Does anyone have any ideas what might have caused this?
I ordered a Progressive EMS/surge protector last week but it has not come yet so I suppose a surge is possible but the coach is plugged into our house service and there was no indication of any outage or other problems in the house.

Thanks in advance for any help, and a special thanks to anyone with the patience to read the whole post!
-Ken
PS: all coach doors and panels were locked all night, I do not think anyone gained access during the night.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum