Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 01:54 PM   #71
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Looks like a mix of Mad Max and a DeLorean.

Electric pickups will have too short a range if towing a large trailer, so Tesla should appeal more to local contractors and for personal use. Powering tools all day from batteries should be a major advantage.

RV lithium packages could improve motorhomes nicely without such extremes as the Tesla pickup if only battery capacity can be made much larger at reasonable cost. An all-electric “house” could simplify RVs making them more reliable and easier to maintain. That’s my hope anyway.

I’m going to follow what RV manufacturers do with Ford’s new dual-alternator option, which is priced under $1,000. For me adding a second alternator under the hood was the part I didn’t like much about these electric/lithium packages (or with AGM batteries), whether from RoadTrek, Volta, Xantrex, or now Thor.

I’d be much more comfortable with Ford supplying alternator, drive belts, and load controls and limiting RV manufacturers to installing batteries and inverter/charger. Eventually I’d like to see Ford supply a large-capacity lithium battery bank also with fast charging from engine, much like a plug-in hybrid car/truck.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum