Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #20
Wild Handyman

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2 - E-450
State: Virginia
THOR #5259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysdad View Post
Any constructive answers will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lucysdad
Dear Mr. Dad,

My wife and I own a 2017 Thor Axis 25.2, a 26 1/2 foot model sitting on a Ford E-450 chassis, that Thor no longer offers to my knowledge. Our unit has only a tiny rear slide out, so I never expect to experience the major slide out problems experienced by some others. I agree with and disagree with some of the comments already posted, but the most important thing I want to impart to you is to HIRE A PROFESSIONAL RV INSPECTOR BEFORE SIGNING FOR YOUR MOTORHOME. It may cost you a few hundred bucks, but you will never regret it. We didn't know that such a profession existed two years ago.

Before you get your heart set on buying a Thor product, specifically an Axis/Vegas model, please poke your head under the dashboard and take a really good look at the way the front of the unit is constructed. In my opinion, a High School shop class could have done a better job. Had I done that I would never have bought the unit that I did and would have tried to find a Class "C" to my liking. At least with a Class "C" you have a real firewall, bumper and professional dash construction.

Speaking of non-existent firewalls, ask your salesman how to replace the chassis battery in an Axis. See if he will admit to you that the battery comes up through the passenger side dashboard and that the only thing separating the driver and passenger from the engine compartment is a thin piece of plywood, a sheet of (what looks to be) Tyvek, and some plastic trim pieces. I was shocked that ANY motorhome manufacturer is legally allowed to sell vehicles made that way.

If the dashboard doesn't scare you away you are a stronger man than I. Start poking your head in, under and around EVERY SINGLE COMPARTMENT. Keep your eyes peeled for construction shortcuts, shoddy materials, and the general fit and finish of the hidden stuff. Remove the cabinet drawers (push one plastic tab up and one down on the side of the individual drawers) and look behind them. If the unit you are looking at is anything like mine, you will see that the drawer slides are held to the rear wall with only one little screw instead of the two or three screws a manufacturer with a conscience might use.

We haven't had any large problems with our unit with 7,000 miles under our belts. The handling is about what I expected it to be, not great but not evil, and I intend to do some chassis modifications to the unit (steering stabilizer and anti-sway bars front and rear) to get the unit to handle just a little better before our next trip.

I don't know at what dealer you are using to buy your motorhome, but I saved $5,000 by walking away from the Camping World (now Gander Mountain) thieves and dealing with an independent RV dealer. That's a pretty healthy chunk of change that can be put towards future repairs!

If I had it to do all over again I certainly would not have picked an RV made by Thor (CAUTION: They own a LOT of different nameplates) or a unit made by Forest River (a company even worse than Thor).

Good luck in your search. If you are on Facebook, take a look at the "Thor Motor Coach Issues and Complaints" group. It may open your eyes.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum