Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #32
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysdad View Post
I am recently retired, new to RV's, and trying to decide which direction to go in. So far I have focused on class C's, but these 2 small Thor class A's have caught my eye. I would like to hear about experiences from real owners, specifically in the 24-25' class. We plan to travel in it, not live in it, and probably not tow, at least not often.

.....cut.....

Axis/Vegas range from 25’-6” to 28’-6”, so not in same 24~25 foot range. That’s a big difference.

There are a lot more choices in 24~25 foot Class C (technically includes B+) size, which include motorhomes built on Ford E-Series, Ford Transit, Chevy, and Mercedes Sprinter.

There are Pros and Cons to Class As versus Class Cs. A forum search should help with that.

Regarding size mentioned above, many 24~25 foot Class Cs are built on chassis with wheelbase around 158 inches, which make them somewhat maneuverable in tighter places. Since not towing, you’ll be driving to stores, restaurants, etc. With my previous C that was around 24-ft long, I often parked in regular spots by letting the long rear overhang over a curve when there was nothing but grass on other side. The much longer 188 or 194 inch wheelbase of an Axis or Vegas may not allow for that.

If comparing Axis/Vegas to shorter Class C also on Ford E-Series chassis, the longer wheelbase will increase turning circle considerably. The Ford E-Series is relatively poor in this area, so the longer wheelbase and length will make driving in parking lots a bit tougher. On the other hand some Class Cs are wider than Axis/Vegas which doesn’t help.

There’s a reason that larger motorhomes tow more often than smaller ones. With my 24-ft Class C I managed fine without a toad, but when I’ve rented 27~30 foot Class Cs it’s made impromptu stops tougher. Size does make a difference (to me anyway), and my personal preference would be to keep it at 24 feet or shorter since I would not want to haul around a toad.

If possible, try renting each option for short trips. It’s expensive, but not that much higher than owning.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum