Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
WearyTraveler

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
My batteries and charging - 2 topics...

The RV has been sitting in the yard for the past week or so. No shore power but nothing running. Ms WT went out this am and checked the battery button on the panel. 2 of 4 lights... I went out and checked the water level. I'd wager that the previous owner never opened the batteries and looked inside. I say this because the battery cabling is in the way of the levers to open and look inside. After a little wrangling I managed to open the tops on all 4 batteries. One has water below the plates. The other 3, the water is just above the plates.

FIRST issue / question: I know that the first needs distilled water and I think that the other 3 do as well. I looked online and the interweb says that the water should be just below the fill spout's bottom. Is this correct? I should fill to just below the bottom of the fill spout?

SECOND issue / question: I'm know that I'm not supposed to add water to a battery that's not fully charged. So I ran a 120V extension cord from a 20A receptacle in the garage. I put a multimeter on - 6.2V / 12.5V (they're 6V batteries). I thought that if the batteries were charging I'd get more than that? I read somewhere on this forum to look for 13V or so. I fired up the generator and the MM at the batter terminals still read 12.5V. Should I just let the shore power continue and check again tomorrow? Then add distilled water?
Good Sam member
FMCA member
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum