Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 02:33 AM   #11
javelin

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by timononk View Post
Ok, here what I did today,

With the RV generator working, I check the voltage of each 12v fuses at the bed, on each side of the fuses. They all read 13.65 v.
Sounds like your gen is feeding 120VAC to the new converter and the DC output of the converter is working and powering the fuse panel OK at the end of the bed.

Without the RV generator, or plug to the shore, only on the coach batteries, I check the voltage of each 12v fuses at the bed, on each side of the fuses again, they all read 12.16v.
So with no AC from the gen or shore the converter charging output (13.6vdc) stops and you are "seemingly" left with the discharged coach battery voltage level measured on the DC fuse panel. So this should confirm that the + connection from coach batteries to the BCC (connected to the coach battery terminal on BCC); then passes through the BCC (via coach battery latching relay which is "on"); then passes through the closed 50 amp grey circuit breaker (also inside the BCC) and comes out of the BCC (On the terminal marked House) and connects all the way back to the fuse panel at the foot of the bed where you measured 12.1 vdc.

This is the same voltage I have at the batteries.
Yes it seems that you have a good connection from coach battery to the fuse panel at the foot of the bed OK.

With the RV generator working, I check the voltage at the BCC on both pole of the selenoid for the coach, both pole had 12.10v.
With gen running again you read only 12.1 vdc on both sides of the coach battery latching relay (not sure how you are safely doing that inside the BCC ?) but it means the latching relay contacts are closed OK. What voltage do you measure on the House terminal on the outside of the BCC? This is the connection point from the fuse panel at the foot of the bed

Here the catch, the charger positive wire goes directly to the fuses box, the BCC coach wire pole goes (I assume) directly to the fuse box also.

Yes that should be correct. I don't know your coach, but there should also be two 30 or 40 amp fuses on the fuse panel board (or somewhere close) that protects against accidentily hooking the coach battery cables up backwards. I assume those fuses are good from your earlier voltage measurements?

They are side by side on the fuses circuit board.

Can you trace out the coach battery cable and does it connect to the same point as the output of the converter......or does it pass through a fuse?

The charger in order to charge the batteries need to be able to see the voltage of the batteries, since it's a 3 stage charger and stop charging at 13.60. The charger, at the fuse box see 13.65v, so no need to charge.
Yes we are trying to find out why the 13.6 vdc from the charger output at the fuse panel foot of the bed is not connecting to the BCC House connection feed.....or at least where the connection is open. The 13+vdc is the charging voltage that should be connecting to the coach batteries to charge them.

Now, looks like I have to investigate why I'm able to read 13,65v at the fuse box and not something like 12.6v.
No the 13.6 vdc out of the converter is good.....you need to find out why it is not connecting to the coach batteries through the BCC.

I don't know what is that circuit board. Just a fuses sockets board or more complicated than that with diodes and others components!

It would also be interesting to see what happens when you disconnect shore; turn off gen and start and run your coach engine so the alternator charges the chassis and coach batteries. Wait five minutes after starting the engine (not gen) and measure voltages on both chassis and coach batteries. make sure you leave the coach battery latching relay "on" (closed). You should see the alternator output voltage on both battery strings......so start recharging your coach batteries. What voltage do you measure at the fuse panel by the bed now?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum