Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #23
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
and, as for the 'fresh water tank'....BULK water takes even LONGER at much lower than freezing temps to ever get to any place that you should then be concerned about, if at all. I would not drain the whole fresh water tank simply because of some freezing temps, even if over several days. Don't fret it.

And remember that, most likely, your Class A is like most all others - all of your water lines and holding tanks are contained WITHIN the RV, not exposed to the elements, wind, or direct temperatures from outside.
Other RVs, though, like my son's camper, is a different story. His holding tanks are all under the trailer's flooring, in the direct temperature and elements. Even his holding tank drains are all exposed. I used a 'construction bag' from HD to craft a 'heating tent' under his trailer to keep the extreme lows from potentially creating any issues since he is parked for the winter and living in the trailer while at UAH for Aerospace engineering in Huntsville, very north Alabama.
Yes none of my tanks can be seen from bottom short the gas tank. The water tank is right under bed and you can see it well if you open the wooden hatch. I can even verify my level gauge is working properly for it

However, the Shurflo pump is in the Wet bay. It too is enclosed but is an outside wall. If I had designed the coach, I would have added a very small electric compartment heater with thermostat to auto come on at 40 degrees. I had those on my older boats before they redesigned my new one where water no longer sits in the blocks when not running.

What I may do just thinking about this is to move one of my La Crosse temperature sensors inside the wet bay. I can then monitor the temperatures inside that bay relative to outside ambient temperatures. If I get really nervous another thing I use to do with my boat was to drop a 100 watt heat lamp into the engine compartment. I have had boats 30 years and never had a freeze problem. But this is my first RV so I am learning as I go.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.