Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 04:00 PM   #19
CampTap

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #15490
Dont coil cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper003 View Post
I have the 30 amp Thor Axis and use the 15/30 adaptor for the shore power when
I have the RV in my garage which works great for keeping the batteries up and if
I need the lights on for working on stuff or pre-cooling the refrigerator prior to a trip. I use the 30 amp cable but leave it coiled up so no big deal on that.
As a commercial electrician I would advise against leaving wires coiled up. This creates a "choke" on your power causing heat at the coils. Even with insulated cables the EMF will build in the coil creating resistance and heat. A coil of wire is basically a transformer without a core. If you were to take a steel bar and put in in tbe middle of that coil you will read voltage off the bar in accordance with your turns ratio (how many coils of wire around the 1 bar ie 4-5 to 1) when you take that rod out it builds what we call a choke which limits the flow of amperage in high voltage circuits. They also work in low voltage but are not used as often or are just called resistors. These create heat and can damage your insulation. Anyway Im blabbering.
Have a good day

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.