Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #22
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Gonna see if I follow where this is going.

There is 50 amp service for OP, but he has a donebone to allow connection to 15 amp supply. So the twist is how to handle surge protection?

If the 15 amp source gets hit with more than 15 amps, won't it trip the breaker? Also, say it doesn't and 30 amps come through due to lightning or something, it may fry the dogbone; but can't the 50 amps cable handle a 30 amp surge? If it is really bad surge then it would trip the main breaker (200 amps in my case).

If we really want extra protection don't they sell those fancy surge protector that you can buy for any configuration you need? i.e. https://www.campingworld.com/portabl...RoCDqQQAvD_BwE

In my case my 50 amp cable line is hard wired into a Surge Guard Transfer switch. I like because it is impossible for my 50 amp cable to just walk away as they compartment is locked. However I bough 2 dogbones from Camco. a 50 amp female to 30 amp male and a 50 amp female to a 20 amp male. When at home I have a 60 amp breaker in main panel that flows to my RV Sub panel that has 50 amp / 30 amp / & 20 amp services so that is at least two levels of breakers that should trip with a surge.

I do like the idea of simple 15 amp surge protector plugged into pedestal if using the 15 amp service. I guess a surge guard for the 30amp and 50amp that would have to plug into the pedestal would be even greater protection for my built in surge guard in the coach? i.e. this is all I would need to buy for one moe additional level of surge protection, for 50 amp it would plug right into pedestal, but for 30 and 20 amp I would use the dogbones that would fit in between the pedestal and the this device.

https://www.campingworld.com/portabl...rge-protection

Am I following this right?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.