Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #49
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
You don’t think manufacturers like Tor or Forest River for example are going to offer dual chassis batteries or alternators on low end coaches do you? It will allow custom builders to offer it as a high end/price option

I actually see the dual-alternator option having applications at both extremes. On Transit vans it’s priced under $1,000, so I’d personally pay for the upgrade on just about any chassis that it’s available. It’s better to have it and not need it kind of thing.

As example, Coachmen Cross Trek line, which are relatively low cost entry-level motorhomes, don’t have a generator but include a large 330 Ah battery and large inverter to power microwave, etc. These low-cost Coachmen motorhomes (and others like them) could benefit from faster battery re-charging.

For higher-end gas coaches like a Challenger, having dual-alternators in addition to a generator could allow running a rooftop A/C while driving without having to run the generator.

I see the possibility of a “poor man’s” electrical system that can do 80% of what a Volta Electrical system can do, but for about 20% of the price (using the 80/20 rule loosely). For much less than $2,000 I think an RV manufacturer can upgrade an inexpensive coach similar to a Cross Trek by adding the dual alternator option plus an extra 330 Ah AGM battery. With 660 Ah and ability to charge quickly, I would consider going without built-in generator (granted, a tough choice)

This could be the first small step towards mass electrification of the modern RV house — with or without a generator as a backup.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum