Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Hello All...
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
MRichaud

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Hey, Warren -

We have a '17 A.C.E. 29.3, bought last Feb. We've taken it on a few short trips (+/- 100 miles), and one down to New Orleans, and a loop of each coast of Florida to the Keys and back. Our toad has been a '13 Xterra, but we just bought an '18 Wrangler Unlimited with automatic transmission, as the Xterra has a manual transmission (required to flat tow), and the wife doesn't like driving it.

Anyway, experience with the 29.3 has been very good overall. Its handling was pretty squirrely until I did the "cheap handling fix" described elsewhere in this forum, and I'll be adding a steering stabilizer before our next trip, which will improve it even more. As you do your research, you'll find much more info about all the handling issues, all of which can be addressed.

Whatever you end up getting, you'll no doubt make changes to personalize it to suit you. So far I've swapped out the microwave for a convection microwave. The previous owner added a second A/C unit in the bedroom, but was wired into the circuit breaker; as the coach is only 30 amp, only one A/C unit could be run at a time, so I rewired it to a separate line which plugs into the campground's 15/20 amp outlet (assuming there is one...).

Next up is the addition of a cabinet door under the forward facing seat of the dinette to match the rearward one, as the only access is by lifting the seat. I may also fit that area with a drawer for even easier access. Then I also plan to add cabinet doors to the four cubbyholes above the driver and passenger area. I'm also going to modify the pantry to include two more pullout shelves, as it's pretty hard to access the back of the storage area there.

Might remove the overhead bed, or at least the rear half of it, as we don't really plan to use that; grandkids can sleep on the dinette or in a tent when we take them. And we may get rid of the jacknife sofa and get a couple of recliners.

Road/engine noise can be a bit intrusive, but insulation is also on my list..

Anyway, you get the idea. For me half the fun is making this our own. And I'm a DIY-er, so it's ~relatively~ inexpensive (HA!). This forum has been a great resource for us, so post your questions; you'll get plenty of useful advice (and commiseration when needed!).

Have fun with the search!
Mickey

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum