Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #16
ducksface

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Based on the logic I'm reading I have to imagine owner manuals for all jeeps saying to remove the rear spare tire and the mount before towing the jeep(read this jeep reference to mean every vehicle with a rear mount spare or even an enclosed trailer with stuff against the interior rear wall).
I have also never seen gas cans or jacks or bicycles mounted to those racks.
I'm thinking the jeep racks might be stamped sheet metal mounts and not 2" thick wall sleeved within thick wall mount like a hitch is.
I don't ever remember seeing a jeep being towed without its spare tire hanging off the back. Who removes them due to the physics of it all?
I can't imagine the stresses from that short wheelbase jeep clipping over whoopdies driven in a less than intelligent fashion isn't many times, to hundreds of times, the stress from riding on a towed vehicle travelling down the road on the smooth roads an rv owner usually goes out of their way to find.

I'm thinking if you bought a real rack with real metal instead of some strap mounted to the lip of your trunk lid and a suction cup on your plastic bumper facade, buying a real rack as shown in the picture posted above, you could probably pull a tree down with the pictured rack.

If you're fine print driven, go find a rack that doesn't say something stupid in the fine print.
Yakima specifically and definitely says(in the link I took the time to post as proofs instead letting my end of the discussion being myth and conjecture driven) you can use their hitch mount rack on a flat towed vehicle. They get silly on their attitude regarding a trailered vehicle. I guess their lawyers at least had a modicum of real life experience...which ends just short of a trailered vehicle. So unless the racks which can't be used due to fine print, are, admittedly by their manufacturer, of GREAT inferiority compared to the well known Yakima...there is no blanket excuse of physics and 'whip the tail'.

Logic prevails.
Prevail.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum