Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
steve2777

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Siesta 24ST
State: Ohio
THOR #15089
Ladder supporting weight of 2 e-bikes

I have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24ST and have just purchased two e-bikes, with a combined weight (batteries removed) of just under 80 lb. I have a Surco 501BR ladder mounted bike rack that holds 2 bikes, which I believe is adequate for the weight, but I've only previously used it on this ladder for a single lighter standard bike.

I've read all the threads with horror stories of ladders being torn loose by the weight of bikes, etc. attached to them during travel. My concern is heightened as I know that the mounting of this ladder is not the best: When brand new, the mounting SCREWS (not bolts) were so stripped that they could be moved with a finger, and the dealer had to remount them when we took delivery (but they're still screws, not bolts with backing plates). I have a hitch mount bike rack that would eliminate the concern, but not only does it add 4 ft to the length of the coach, making parking and maneuvering much more difficult, but eliminates my towing a dolly. The ladder is presently fine for 165 lb me to access the roof, but I suspect the laws of physics would yield a different answer for 80 lb being flung around on a bumpy road at 65mph.

Has anyone had experience in re-mounting the ladder with through bolts and backing plates? My coach layout has a large storage locker at the lower rear that would allow me to drill straight through and access the back side for plate mounting, and the next row of mounting points could, I believe, be accessed if I removed the cushioned bunk headboards against the back wall of the bedroom. I'm contacting Thor as well, hoping they can assure me that drilling at these spots won't sever something vital. Thanks.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum