Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
ducksface

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2777 View Post
Ducksface: Thanks; good advice, but it got me thinking about another alternative: Leave the ladder alone, and get a separate bike mount that's through-bolted. I haven't done a search yet, but they must be out there.
The cantilever affect of a bolt through bike rack would require it also be bolted/supported by the bumper.

I might take that hitch extension posted, add a riser to it so it clears the hood of your toad.
That would do away with the added length (I understood why you weren't using that hitch extension) you don't want and give you a stable base and a 2inch heavy wall post(receiver tube) to put your bike rack on.
If you are able lift the bike to shoulder height, attaching it to the rack, this would be a compact and certifiable way to do it, hindered only by your personal height and ability.

If you look at sportsmansguide.com you'll find 'deer lifts' that might be close to perfect for your use, or at least give you a good idea.

In general,
Look up
Deer hoist, deer hitch winch... That sort of thing.
There's also a work version for long lumber and canoes that flips upright for long lumber on a truck rack.

(I'd like to see a picture or link to the bikes. Mine weight 65pounds and I'm looking for some lightweights)

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum