Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2019, 06:58 PM   #13
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2777 View Post
I want to be able to take the e-bikes all the time, but only occasionally take a toad, so whatever I do needs to be mounted on the coach, not the toad. And I could use my hitch mount bike rack if not towing, but I'm trying to minimize overall length for parking purposes, and the hitch mount is going to extend that by about 4 feet. The Siesta has an inset in the rear cap of 2-3 inches, and so a bike (26 inch wheels) attached vertically to the rear will only add 2 feet to the length (and the ladder already sticks out part of this distance anyway). I'm kind of zeroing in on an idea of through-mounting one mount (either a fork mount or a rear wheel mount) up high, with the lower mount (either a real wheel mount or a fork mount being supported from a hitch bracket like the ones advertised for attaching work lights around the outside of the hitch receiver. This would leave the receiver itself open if I'm towing, and a bracket around the receiver providing plenty of support for the weight of the bikes. With line tied between the ladder and the bikes, right/left movement should be minimized.

I'm so grateful for everyone's ideas. I've ended up with a completely different idea than my original ladder mount plan, and I think this may work out far better. Thanks!
The extra 2 or 3 feet added when towing the toad won't make that much of a difference when parking--you'll still have to find a pull through spot (truck stop, rest area, etc.) as you won't be able to back up. Once camping the dolly will slide under the coach a bit but still stick out further than the bike rack + extension.

I do like the idea of a fork mount up high, however getting the front of the bike up that high might be a bit of a trick (even without the battery and the front wheel). Likely a 2 person job with one person on the RV's ladder guiding the forks.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum