Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 10:34 PM   #26
frankgtx

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
The bolt through is an an easy thought and easily accomplished mod if you can make access.
You'll likely need some spacers made from the pipe of your choice between the inside and outside walls.

I've done ladders and upper and lower awning Mounts and floor and wall tie downs in a toy hauler. Aluminum diamond plate makes fine backers and is easily cut and bent to contour as needed.

Make sure anyone responding has practical, not IEEE experience before you follow any train of thought/acccomplishment regarding through bolts.

But
I would go farther and have a STEEL ladder built to copy the possibly/probably/almost certainly aluminum tube/decorative grade stainless steel ladder you have.
I wouldn't trust the aluminum/stainless tube to take the jostling.
THIS is where you listen to engineer stuff.
If you can kick it and make it kink, don't use it.
Personally if my new ladder wasn't heavy Guage pipe, I'd pass.

So,
I'm going to say no. My 'no' is not based on the sound logic of through bolts, but on the material generally used on rv ladders.

Expense be damned. You can afford to rv, or you can't.
I do not trust these so called ladders. I weigh close to 200lbs and every time I go up on the roof I ask myself, particularly when I get close to the top, if this is the time when the thing pulls off and sends me to my grave. Probably time to use an extension ladder...

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum