Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 09:49 PM   #13
hikerjohn7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12281
Mirror Bouncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
I had that problem on a previous coach. Although the four screws holding the mirror to the wall appeared screwed in tight, the real problem was elsewhere. Turned out that water intrusion had occurred into the screwholes and the integrity of the wall was affected. So the wall was actually flexing from wind pushing on the mirror. On that coach I was able to cut a 1"×4" board which I held in place inside, under the dash as I secured the new, longer screws from the outside of the mirror all the way through the sidewall into the 1"×4". BTW- I resealed all the possible areas where water could enter before making that sandwich with the wall in the middle. Never had another problem with water intrusion nor shaking mirror syndrome.
I had the same problem on my Jayco Precept. I think the water seeped in around the screw heads which did not appear to have any sealer applied to them in the mirror's base screw holes.

What I did was drill all the way through the RV's side wall and switch from wood screws to stainless machine screws and I put stainless washers and locking nuts on the inside. That way I was able to torque the screws good and to tight so the mirror mount was as firm as possible. It was a little tricky, however, because the screws came out under the dash so I had to get underneath to get the washers and nuts on the machine screws.

I then resealed the mirror base to the wall and also put sealer over the screw heads to keep water out as much as possible.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum