Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
coachray

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturescott49 View Post
We've enjoyed our 2017 Ace 29.3 for three years now. Overall, given the need to replace it, I'd buy it again (except this floor plan has been eliminated).

Couple of things to make sure of:

1. On your pick up day, MAKE SURE they show you how to work EVERYTHING and that EVERYTHING works. That means every light switch. The furnace. The A/C. The inverter. The slide (and you have the big slide like I do so MAKE SURE you know the "trick" of how to keep it timed so make them SHOW you). The televisions. The water heater--both 110v and propane. The stove. Make them put water in it and test the internal pump at EVERY faucet. The refrigerator--both 110v and propane. The list can be very long. Write one down before you pick it up and go through it.

2. Be prepared for "gotchas" as it's not a matter of "if" but "when". Things will go wrong. Be prepared. Get manuals and keep them in the coach for times when you're away from the internet. One big one is a flat tire. What do you do without a spare tire? You really need a roadside assistance plan or lots of $$$.

3. Make them show you how to winterize the coach. We use ours all winter and I do it every time I get back home. It's easy, but it sure helps to have someone show you the first time. Know where ALL your low point drains are.

4. First trip out stay fairly close to home. You'll forget stuff. You won't remember everything. Venture further when you confidence climbs.

Remember that most of these forums are for the folks who have problems with their coach. Not that many of us post all the good stuff. I just had three problems taken care of with mine while I was gone for Christmas to the tune of $660. Be prepared for "stuff" like this.

Since yours will be a bunk house, remember none of these things are built like your house so roughhousing by kids should be a no-no inside the coach, especially since the bunks are on the long slide.

Accept that it was built on the last Friday of the month and everyone just wants to go home, that it's built to be light not strong, that it's going to twist and torque and bump in a way your house never will.

Water is evil. MAKE SURE you cover very carefully EVERY place where water might enter. Climb the roof and examine all the caulk joints on your hands and knees. Look at every window seal, especially the driver and passenger side front windows.

Good luck! We're about to head off in ours for the fourth adventure this winter.

Scott
That's great advice. Welcome to the forum

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.