Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 07:09 PM   #14
javelin

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by K6NCX View Post
This morning slides came in fine. Arrive at boondock spot (just after dark, of course) and the slides don't go and the awning doesn't go. Interestingly, the lights (five white LEDs under the headlights on each side) that go on when the ignition is on, stay on. I have tried turnng ignition on and off to see if that resets anything. No joy. Can't call Thor as it's Friday night. (My experience in the past was that they were difficult to reach during business hours, an unhelpful if reached, but I've been reading the last year or so that there may have been a change.)

I imagine it's a relay issue as discussed. Anybody know where that relay (or those relays) might be on a 2016 Thor ACE 30.1 ? No Rapid Camp. Any idea which relay before i start yanking the all out (if I ever find any.)

Useful and/or entertaining suggestions welcomed! Thanks.

Neil

I wish I could be more help regarding your situation and the previous person's trouble as well, but I can only fumble along sometimes.

From the description it sounds like your ignition switch, though off, is still powering (some) Ignition circuits, acting and powering loads like it is still on. I am not familiar with the 2016 ACE control wiring. My 2013 ACE uses the BCC battery control made by RV Custom Products, and when Ford ignition is on, it operates a couple relays in the BCC (ignition and accessory) that basically power other coach loads that the Ford ignition switch is not designed to do (current rating too low). Now I “assume”, even on my coach, which I should know better than I do, that one of the ignition control wires likely connects all the way back to two of three identical relays mounted together under the bed. One relay locks out the awning, one I “think” (marked ignition) locks out the slides when the ignition is on; the third is simply a water pump relay. Picture attached FYI in case you have similar. If you have these relays I suspect that the two relays (awning and slides) are being operated by your ignition signal, and are therefore locked out (prevented from operating). You could pull one of the coil wires on each of the lockout relays under the bed (coil wires usually labelled 85 and 86 on most 4 or 5 pin relays. If you do this temporarily make sure your reconnect before traveling.

So question is why is your ignition “on” signal still connecting to things when your ignition switch is off? Bad ignition switch perhaps? The next question is, can you defeat the lockout temporarily to allow camping at least (and not discharge your chassis battery loads that appear to be on as well), until you can get the coach in for repair (or find someone that knows what a 2016 ACE uses for lockout controls).

Are all other Ford accessory loads on (or powered) as well? In other words, any Ford items working that normally need ignition on to do so.....like turn signals?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Three Relays.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	22249  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum