Old 01-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #19
Budman

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Hi, if you do the test I suggested (connect to shore; turn on use/store switch and measure voltage on your coach batteries), and if you measure 13vdc to 13.8 vdc approx., it means that your converter is charging the coach batteries OK. If you have the RV Custom BCC black box.....it also means that that 50 amp re-settable breaker inside the BCC (that you are talking about) is OK......and it means the coach battery latching relay is also OK (at least they are allowing charging current from converter output through to the coach batteries OK for this test).

I did go over today and looked around some more. When I first got there before unhooking anything or turning any lights on I checked coach batteries and they were about 13.1. Chassis battery was about 13.6. I did turn on some lights and coach immediately went down to 12.7.
I do have the BCC black box under the hood. I checked breaker since I was looking at it and it changed nothing.

The other basic test is connect to shore; turn off use/store (or called coach disconnect switch if you have the RV Custom BCC); turn on some coach 12vdc lights......do they work OK? This is checking that the converter is working and connected to your DC distribution fuses (lights anyway). I would expect if the first test passes you would also probably pass the second OK, but you never know when folks have been making changes in electrical system connections.

Lights do work during this test.

This might still be the coach latching relay failing as other posters have suggested, but lets do some basic testing first and go from there. There are many excellent contributors on this forum, and I may not be be able to reply for a few days.....but I am sure someone will continue to help.

After completing these tests I unhooked shore power. I turned on lights. 15 seconds later they kicked off. Coach batteries were still at 12.7 even w shore power unhooked. I was there approximately 30 minutes doing a couple other things. After plugging back into shore power I checked batteries again. Coach batteries were at 12.8 and chassis battery was charging at 14.2. Definitely a big difference. I got cold and aggravated by then and left.
I also called RV bunch who put converter in and told them they did not solve all the problem. They will have to come back and see what else they find. Thx, Dennis.

There is a lot of info on line and in this forum about the RV Custom BCC. Let's first make sure you have one before going down that rabbit hole.
I really don't know what else to check but I dont think I can bend well enough to do much in that box anyway. I thought about changing one fuse 3a F44 described as COACH DISC POWER but didn't have a 3 w me. . Thought there may be an issue there. Keep the ideas coming but I won't tackle getting into relays and such. My body just won't work that way!!! Thx. Dennis,

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.