Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 02:04 AM   #41
Pete'sMH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhehn View Post
I wish I had read CampTap's post in December. I had a near tragedy last week and want to warn others. In the past I sometimes need to bring power to the RV before leaving on a trip, for the fridge. I use a 100 foot (14/3) extension cord run out to my RV from my garage plug. Usually the cord is fully uncoiled, but this time the RV was close to the house so I left the cord coiled on a stepstool, next to the RV dogbone adapter. When we returned from a shopping trip we had a moderate sized campfire on the stepstool, 2 feet from the RV. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and put out the fire. The house breaker had tripped, but too late to prevent the cord heat from igniting the cord insulation. Amazingly the RV wall was warm but not damaged, and the fire had not spread. Could have been a disaster but we were lucky. Lessons: 1 - Use a 12/3 cord if you are powering a residential fridge plus charging house batteries; 2 - DO NOT leave an extension cord coiled in use; 3 - Fire extinguishers are worth their weight in gold. Know how to use yours and be sure it is ready for use.

I noticed that a 12 ga cord got warm when running my RV on a 20A outlet in my garage. Certainly it’s adequate but I carry 50ft of 10ga cord now. Couldn’t hurt...

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.