Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 07:59 PM   #5
ducksface

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
There is no reason to ever travel the same road twice.
Unless you need the
Store the rv
Call an uber
Get to airport two hours early
Two hour layover
Stand around waiting for luggage
Bother someone for a ride or catch another uber
8 hour minimum duties for a 180 minute flight

I'd consider(as we do) the interstate for speedy trips back home
Or any one of the dozens to hundreds of routes from anywhere to anywhere else.

We've stayed in ghost towns and almost ghost towns and small towns and towns of 100 people based around a grain silo and a railroad spur. We've eaten at diners and cafes where they hadn't seen a stranger in two years, all on pavement.
Oklahoma is a good example. Pick any road west, count two roads up, and take that road instead.
500 choices.

Make it a journey.

We often in the past but less frequently now, would come to a cross road and PHYSICALLY
flip a coin 'right or left'. I can't begin to tell you the obscure places we've been because of it.
Opal mines in Nevada, closed, privately-owned, out of business for 49 years, 'see the cave!' places in WV. Buffalo herds. Elk herds, tied up in 'traffic' on a narrow paved road for two hours while 10,000 sheep passed... And no other car came by. Recently in Central Missouri we traveled all day and went a total of 55 miles. Stayed at a motel near Bennett Springs that night. We were down purt near every fu and zz road they had. Damn yard sales.

Our last coin flip was the only one that went awry. All right turns, we did circles between Page Arizona and Kayenta on the Navajo rez for two days then gave up. But we saw that damn plain from every possible vantage point.

You're over thinking and thinking like a person who has to be somewhere.
It doesn't matter where you go, just go. It doesn't matter that, like the damn trip from here to California how we know the name of every lizrad on every rock. There's still 5,000 places to go just 5 miles off the 40. F4 jet crash from 1964ish. Lava tubes, railroad spurs no one has touched in 100 years, reopened cafes that suck, the comfort of the dairy queen at Ludlow.

I'm jealous of your fresh faced look at it all.

And

The problem with leaving the rv somewhere is tornado, flood, basketball, fire evacuations, all the bullcrap that comes with a town you don't know well. Now you've got to fly in a hurry to GodForgot Oklahoma just to assess some undetermined damage or no damage, then fly back, then fly back for the insurance guy.
It a big country and prestaging seems a good idea... Until you fly in and mice have eaten your ignition wires and no one will work on it for a month....

And
Your dogs might love to be boarded. It's a vacation for them, others to play with, new toys, Parvo....

I'm told some dogs love it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum