Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #39
dubh

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A30
State: Nebraska
THOR #17133
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
I have search and read a bunch of the threads listing to pros and cons of tow dolly or tow bar. Seems as though there is not a firm consensus.

Here is our situation:
There are a couple of cars that we could tow. The most likely candidate is our 2013 Civic automatic.

We were given a hand me down Blue Ox with a bracket for some sort of Kia. We thought we would use the Blue Ox and get a bracket for the Civic and one of the brake systems. Even with owning the Blue Ox, the total cost seems to exceed a dolly and I am stuck with using one car. Plus the bracket for the Civic is not bolt on. There is a bunch of metal and plastic modifications to be done. All of which I can do myself. It seems expensive and limiting.

So we started looking at dolly's. They seems to be more flexible in that we can put any FWD on it. And the have a brake system included. I have a place at home to store it. Are they trouble in the camp ground? So far about half of the camping site we have been in are back ins so I would need to disconnect the dolly. Easy to move by hand? Do they seem to tuck away somewhere so I don't bust a shin on it while at the site?

Right now I am thinking the dolly is the the easy button.

Do I have that right?

I had the dolly, and I have been towing a 2011 ford fusion hybrid. The biggest problem I had was winching it up tight enough. You also have to check on the straps now and then because they tend to come lose. We bit our lip and invested in our fusion to have it all four wheels down. The cost was hefty, about $4000. So far we only towed it home, but it was a breeze. I hope its worth it in the long run for us. Either way it pulled the car fine.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum