Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #28

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Colorado
THOR #6286
Adding All Outlets To Inverter

Hey lmichel,

I don't have the same unit but I don't see why this wouldn't work. I simply ran a short extension cord. I made my own heavy duty so I can plug it into my inverter. This is all internal and the cord is always ready to plug or unplug as needed and not visible or an eyesore. The other end runs to the shore power cord compartment. This way I can just plug into my inverter so my fridge and outlets all work while I'm on the road or dry camping. There's no chance of being on internal power and shore power because there's only one plug. The shore power plug is either plugged into the inverter, shore power, or not at all. The generator transfer switch protects the inverter the same as if it was shore power. The breaker panel works as normal since everything goes through it. I keep the convertor in the breaker panel off because I usually charge from solar. Having it on when charging from solar creates an undesirable loop. The other thing I turn off is the electric water heater breaker. Everything else is unit specific which depends on the size of your inverter, microwave, etc. Still, the inverter has safeties and everything goes through the breaker panel anyway. I am getting ready to automate the convertor so whenever it detects the inverter being used as shore power then it shuts off. The latter is just for kicks because honestly most of the time the solar charges my batteries so the convertor breaker is off unless I specifically have a need to charge from it. Hope that makes sense. I recommend searching for Tito on youtube. He gives great video instruction and coverage of how he did it. Hope this adds value. Cheers, 009 -

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.