Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 09:38 PM   #7
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
So nothing out of the ordinary happens.

This max weight thing is similar to chasing tire pressure to the ounce and propane off at a gas pump and opening a door so your slide doesn't create a vacuum and having your rv towed to town because you suddenly went over the 3,000 oil change miles?
Let's not forget 360v rv plugs.

I'm just trying to give newbs a break. There's enough to worry about without taking the backseat out of a tow'd to make it under towing capacity.
Not even close.

Telling an inexperienced tower that his under rated, under powered tow vehicle will pull that trailer "just fine" is not giving him a "break". That's what RV salesman do to close the sale. In fact, it sets the novice up for failure even if nothing breaks because the driving experience will be terrible. And then, when he figures out the truth that he needs a bigger tow vehicle even though he just purchased this brand new truck, he will be out even more money due to the depreciation on the too small vehicle.

It's much better to purchase a fully capable tow vehicle in the first place.

Now if an experienced trailer hauler needed to tow a trailer with a marginal or undersized truck that would be a different situation. I'ved used a half ton truck to transport a 32', 10.5' wide, twin inboard Chris Craft on a triple axle trailer back and forth to a boat ramp on occasion but I knew I was overloaded and I knew what to expect. When I needed to transport that same boat/trailer to it's new home 300 miles away I borrowed my FIL's 3/4 ton diesel.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum