Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 10:23 PM   #11
ducksface

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
My entire post #7 was in response to "give a newb a break" and mostly did not apply to the OP's situation. I agree a 22000 lb tow vehicle towing a vehicle at or slightly above the GCWR isn't really going to make a difference but I would certainly look at that hitch in any case as there have been multiple reports of hitch failure even towing under the limits.
Absolutely.
A hitch is held onto the exact rear of a somewhat flexible frame and I don't know if I've ever seen one with more than two bolts per side.
Bouncy, flexible, 400lb tongue weight magnified by the fulcrum of a 20ft trailer hitting a 4inch drop off construction zone dickup at 75mph.
I'm surprised hitches are allowed at all.

They require diligent looking at, often.

I guess I just didn't want this to turn into the 360v thread, so I thought I'd open up some reality vs 'what my dad said'.

I'm all for safety.
I believe safety is 'job 2' not job 1.
Job one is getting the job done.
Safety needs addressed, it doesn't need bowed to as the greatest end all of all. Too many ways to do a job safely, too many ways to do the job. Meld them into a compromise.

Typing this is job 1. Putting on my grounding clamp around my finger is job 2.

Edit:
I was in the shop so I thought I'd do a comparison.
The muddy hitch is the one held onto my 26hp gator side x side utility utv/tractor
The other is my 24.1 axis. While it looks like 6 bolts, it's actually 4 to a frame adapter, holding it all to an angle iron adapter that also Mounts the bumper. There's a spot for another bolt on each side, but the holes are empty.

It's comforting to know my sad ass little tractor utv has the same amount and size bolts and nuts as my 8,000 Ford hitch.

Check your hitch bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0127201535~01.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	22372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2020-01-27-15-38-09.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	22373  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum