Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
I believe the answer to your question is on display at every TV show and in every dealer's lot across the country. If folks wanted them a manufacturer such as Thor or Forest River would be making them and they would be selling. It may be a case of the manufacturer could already have the designs for one but marketing and sales data says its a no go.

Small RVs have come and gone. There were the class c units that were on the (I believe) Toyota pickup chassis and then Winnie tried doing the smaller Class A with the Bravo retro for a year or two.

Bottom line, aside from folks wanting some nostalgia no one else wants the crap. For those that aren't satisfied with the mainstream there are the custom builders that will gladly take their money and whistle all the way to the bank.

Personally, before I would even consider something like a "van sized" class c I would consider a F-150 with a slide in camper.

Thanks for expressing your views. To some of your points; it only took Thor 6 years to determine there was a market for Class B van campers, when other companies jumped in much earlier. I’m not particularly impressed with their marketing and sales talent as far as being able to predict the next trend.

For what it’s worth, there are smaller Class B+ on gas Transit in same 87” width as the VW Vista, so someone out there is buying and thinking small. There are even more Class B+ and C on Sprinter and Transit diesels that are only 90” wide. However, they start in the 24’ and over length range which makes parking and maneuvering in tight traffic a different ball game.

Also, Thor manufactured the 20-foot-long 19G (still does for Cruise America As far as I know, which is even shorter than most modern vans. Being so small means a wet bath and only a dinette (not much better useable space than vans). At least the VW Vista at only 1’ longer had a real bath and both a dinette and couch, plus overhead bunk. And it’s essentially the same length as a ProMaster van and 3’ shorter than most Mercedes Sprinter Bs.

Anyway, you obviously like huge motorhomes, not that there is anything wrong with that. However, just because it’s not your thing, it doesn’t make small motorhomes “crap”.

Maybe I should have worded the question differently since there are already small Class C motorhomes. Something like: Is it worth giving up permanent beds/bedroom in a small Class C in order to get length close to 20 feet so it can be driven and parked similar to a van?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum