Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #28
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I think it has to do with the setup of the dolly. For example, I don't think the Acme dolly is steerable (whereas the front wheels don't turn with the tongue), while the Demco dolly is steerable. I may be wrong on this, but without seeing an Acme dolly, I cannot tell for sure. Whether the dolly's front wheels turn or not would make the difference whether or not to lock the steering wheel.

When I was researching dollys when trying to decide how to tow, I also wondered about the rocking up and down action damaging the transmission if it is put into park. On the other hand, with the transmission in neutral, it might put more stress on the straps holding the wheels on the dolly. So I can see advantages and disadvantages to both methods.
The Acme Dolly has no platform and no pivoting of the hitch bar. Thus the front wheels need to be able to turn (steering wheel unlocked) and the front wheels need to spin--if only slightly (transmission in neutral) to allow for hills, valleys, dips, driveways, etc. (e.g. changing road angles).

I fail to see how the trans being in neutral would but more stress on the straps though? The wheels will remain stationary with respect to the dolly thus there isn't much rubbing of the tire against the straps (or the base of the dolly for that matter).

When we first got the Acme Dolly my first couple of test tows with it I had left the trans in park. At the end of those tows (and when I stopped to check) the straps were always slightly loose. After I started leaving the trans in neutral the straps remain very tight.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum