Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #37
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Absolutely nothing. Folks tend to forget the car being towed has a suspension system that compensations for a lot of the pitch and roll that may occur. Chances are that the drivetrain itself, transmission, is not impacted at all if the car is properly restrained with tight straps because any pitch and roll is absorbed by the front and rear suspension.

...cut.....
Suspension travel by itself can't be enough to compensate for a large dip. A few degrees of difference between a clamped-in-place (not meant literally) front wheel and the rest of the car, acting through the length of the wheelbase, is more than the car's suspension can move. Something else would have to allow movement. Perhaps the tires rotate inside the straps without breaking them. Or the straps stretch some. Or the straps compress the tires. Or a combination of all above. The bottom line from my perspective is that it has to place additional stress on straps.

My guess is that extreme dips that could cause damage are rare, but I fully understand the point Jamie brought up. It's just geometry.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum