Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 08:09 PM   #97
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Running 4,200 RPM on an engine with a 6,000 RPM redline wouldn’t concern me one bit, particularly since it was producing huge amounts of power. Plus it “sounds” like it can take it, unlike my V10s which sound like they are begging for me to back off throttle. Just my personal opinion on the sound — have never liked V10 noise.

I’m not sure where the “less torque” than V10 is coming from. If we are going to compare apples to apples, the V10 dyno ratings are significantly lower. Even at rated torque, 468 is more than 460, or 420 of E-Series. And again, that’s a commercial heavy-duty dyno rating at 3,900 RPM.

This engine may very well be flawed (maybe too early to tell), but the power it’s making is much higher than the factory V10 ever made.

P.S. — By the way, I went up that same mountain pass and was able to stay at speed limit of 60 MPH with my van which probably weighs about the same as the pickup, and half as much as the 16,000-pound trailer. That they were able to average almost 60 MPH while pulling a trailer that heavy is surprising to me. I didn’t use full throttle, but had I been pulling a trailer half that weight, my V10 would have struggled. No doubt about it.

I’m not trying to promote this new V8; I have nothing to gain from it. But I’d love to have one in my next RV unless they suddenly find a flaw in the design. On paper and now on road it beats the V10 in every way that is important to me.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum