Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 09:11 PM   #100
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I agree. It will just need time to win some of them over.

It’s interesting to look back in time — the post you quoted was from over a year ago before we had power and torque numbers for 7.3L gas engine. Now that we know a bit more, I still think it’s too much engine for many smaller motorhomes.

The towing test was for 8 miles, at 7% grade, up to 11,000-foot elevation. Given that those conditions are an extreme we rarely encounter, and that the new engine pulled a 40-foot horse trailer weighing 16,000 pounds, for a combined weight of around 24,000 pounds, and at an average speed near the limit of 60 MPH, I’m still thinking it’s more than many smaller motorhomes need.

If installed in an Axis 24.1 or small Class C weighing half that much (around 12,000 pounds), what would we accomplish under those severe mountain conditions? Save less than one minute while using half of available power? Not much to be gained from all that power in my opinion.

There’s nothing wrong with having more power than needed, but in case of new 7.3L V8, I think it may be too large to optimize fuel economy in smaller motorhomes like Axis 24.1 or lighter and more aerodynamic Class Cs and B+.

I hope the “Economy” tune proves me wrong, but for now still think a 5.0L V8 is about all the power needed for smaller rigs that won’t be towing heavy trailers in the mountains.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll happily buy the new V8 if I find the right motorhome, but would trade a little power for added fuel economy if it was a choice. I just don’t see this engine delivering 12 MPG in a small MH. Hope I’m wrong though.
I want an Axis that can do wheelie's
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum