Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 01:57 AM   #5
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWilson View Post
Hello,
Any help or advice would be appreciated, we own a 2018 Thor synergy and was considering getting a Mini Cooper or small car to use as a toad with four wheels down, I know only the manual transmission styles can be flat towed.
My question is any body towing a small car like the Mini Cooper or similar car with four wheels down and what kind of hook do you have.

We have been renting cars when we go, but that’s getting to be a hassle at some places.

Thanks in advance for any info
I believe the Minis have to me manual to be towed 4 down - check the user manual.

The smaller Chevy automatic cars can be towed 4 down (Sonic, Cruze, maybe Malibu?) but the Spark must be manual. Some of the smaller Ford vehicles with auto can also be towed 4 town - check the manual.
Some SUV/CUVs with automatics can also be towed 4 down depending on the engine/transmission combo - check the manual.

See a pattern here? You can browse the guides to get a feel for what you might want that's towable 4 down but before you pull the trigger - check the Owner's Manual.

My Sonic is about the same size as a Mini (2700 lbs, 4 door sedan) and it works great as a daily driver (80K+ miles so far) as well as a toad (another 15K+ miles so far). It has a huge trunk that gets even bigger when you drop the rear seats, but easily seats 4 adults or 2 adults and 3 kids. I use a Roadmaster baseplate and a Reese Towbar.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.