Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 05:02 PM   #11
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
If I’m plugged into 30amp service, I park in shade and run my AC. If no 30 amp available, and it’s hot, I park in the shade and run my AC via generator.
But, generally, we are at Beach all day in 70 degree weather here in sunny California and boon-docking without 30 amp. Generally, no AC is needed so we are grateful for Solar on our roof.

.....cut.....

You didn’t say what would happen if you didn’t have solar on days you don’t run generator? Obviously on days when generator is run for A/C, it can do job of solar at same time (i.e. — charge batteries).

Do you boondock at beach multiple days, or only during day and then drive home, etc.? The thing about solar is that unless you have a lot of it installed on roof, it’s normally no more energy per day than the energy of one typical battery. Given a choice, I’d add an extra battery in lieu of solar panels. But that’s based on my use of RVs.

I’m strictly being objective in saying that I haven’t found a single time in last 20 years (that I recall) where solar would have made a significant difference to me. I’m not judging at all and acknowledged that for some campers it’s a great fit. Just doesn’t work for me.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum