Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #30
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I look at it this way...

1) the cost is minimal if you DIY. 200 watts = $300-350 for solid panels all-in, $400-450 for flex panels with Eternabond tape all-in
2) it adds value if/when you sell. That is, in the upcoming years, all new RVs will include solar as a primary feature. So buyers will expect it
3) it gives me a peace of mind when I’m boon-docking, even though my fridge runs on propane when necessary

That said, to each his own

I agree with you on solar becoming more popular, and that it’s “LIKELY” to be expected as a future feature. However, I can imagine a few changes in technology or design that may change the need for solar to the point that it’s not worth installing on a motorhome.

One possible change is that as motorhomes become more electrical hogs in nature, they will use so much power that other means of energy will be needed anyway, and if solar becomes a very small percentage of total, then why bother since added benefit is minimal or insignificant. It’s the same logic why Tesla cars don’t have 1,000 Watts of solar on roof, hood, trunk, etc. Even if it were possible, it would do more harm than it contributes.

This point has already been questioned by highly-technical individuals when reviewing motorhomes with Volta electrical systems. When you need so much electricity that your equipment can charge batteries at up to 6,000 to 12,000 Watts, a little solar becomes a drop in a bucket.

A second possible change is chassis manufacturers offering hybrid drivetrains that can be modified to support camping needs. Much like the Volta or Xantrex systems, but on steroids, you’d be able to utilize 10 to 20 kWh of battery to run the house, and if it runs down during extended periods of camping, it would start engine for a very short time to recharge.

Lastly, when we get to all-electric campers, they will need 100s of kWh of battery capacity to drive, so again solar will be a drop in a bucket. Manufacturers may install solar anyway to make buyers feel good, but it will hardly make much difference. For example, if you had 300 kWh of battery, and solar could make 2 KWh per day on average (a large system), would it be worth it? I doubt it.

I agree with you short-term — 5 to 10 years. Beyond that it’s difficult to say what direction motorhomes will take. I think the future of solar could change just as quickly as the future of generators. For now they have a role in design, but that can change due to other technological advances.

P.S. — Propane absorption refrigerators require a huge amount of electricity to cool if not using gas, which makes powering them from solar impractical. You’d have to switch to a compressor fridge to have a chance of powering from solar.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum