Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #1
Jdb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #17892
Inverter wiring issue I fixed

On our "new to us" Vegas 24.1 the PO had an AIM 2000w Pure Sine Wave inverter installed. When my wife tried to use inverter power to run her hair dryer on low heat, the inverter kicked out.

So when we got back I looked into the issue. I found a very poor wiring job including these:
1) 4 guage cables coming off the inverter (should be at least 2 guage per AIMS install instructions)
2) the negative cable was connected to the 12 guage grounding wire coming out of the ATS !
3) the positive cable was run to the distribution panel, and "connected" to a 12V hold-down that was too small to hold the cable strands, so they simply inserted about 1/2 the strands and left the other 1/2 outside the hold-down.

I've corrected all this by running properly-sized cables to the coach battery negative and the positive coming off the 100amp fuse in the battery compartment. I may move the positive to ensure that the inverter is disconnected when the "On/Store" switch is shut off.

And...the inverter now passes the hairdryer test!

Dave

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum