Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #15
VetPartTimer

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #12125
I agree with all the theories posted above, but also have 1 more theory:

- Possible weep in one of your hydraulic jack lines?

I was experiencing said symptoms as well. Most notable was when I was dry camping on very un-even ground and having to extend some of the jacks near their limits.

But I also noticed it occasionally in an RV park on level concrete with little extension of the jacks - not as prominent of a pop or anywhere as consistent though.

But I also noticed a burning oil smell coming from my motorhome after driving a bit and then coming to stop or a crawl in traffic. Even saw a puff of smoke or 2 from the rear once. But I could never find any wet oil or sign of a leak anywhere. Was getting ready to take it to Ford because it was driving me nuts.

Then on a trip one day while driving, all of a sudden the LCI alarm goes off. Very strong burning oil smell, smoke blowing from under the motorhome. I pull over and trans oil (same oil that goes in the auto leveling jacks) is all over the passenger side exhaust manifold, step and undercarriage on the front passenger side. Traced it to the passenger front hydraulic jack line where it is zip-tied to a horizontal frame cross member. Seems as the bouncing up and down over time slowly chafed the line until it popped. It may have been weeping all along and burning off before I could see where it was coming from.

So, was it a weep in the line causing the jacks to lose slight pressure and pop? Or was it the stiction issue (I put anti-stiction in also) or the jacks flexing/popping slightly because of being extended to their limits? Or a combination of all?

I haven't been dry camping yet since I replaced the hydraulic line, but I've yet to notice any popping/creaking on any of my other trips.

Anyway, there's another theory for you. Might want to check all your hydraulic jack lines carefully. I got lucky that mine didn't cause a fire.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum