Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
jasoncg1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Connecticut
THOR #18154
House Batteries Not Charging

Hi,
I have found many posts about this, but I can't seem to find a direct answer. I've also seen many good questions asked in an attempt to answer, but it seems the original posters don't answer the questions clearly. So I'm going to try to ask my question and provide all of the information I feel relevant:

I have a 2010 Damon Outlaw 3611.
- When the engine is running, it will charge the chassis battery, but not the house batteries.
- When the RV generator is on, it will charge the house batteries. I am not 100% sure if it will charge the chassis battery, but I don't think it does to the best of my recollection.
- When the RV is plugged in, the A/C shore power current will charge the house batteries, but not the chassis battery.
- The boost switch to apply house battery boost to the chassis battery to start the engine does not work. It stopped working seemingly at the same time all of the charging issues started happening.
- When you hit the boost switch, there is a clicking noise from the engine compartment. I believe it is the BIRD solenoid clicking, but I'm not 100% sure.
- The use/store switch works properly, and I am sure it was in the "use" position when experiencing the no-charging issues detailed above.

I'd greatly appreciate some logical steps to follow to diagnose and repair the problem. Also, I was going to try to just change what I believe is the BIRD solenoid, but I could not find one online. Can anyone recommend where to find this solenoid if that might be the problem? Remember, it does click when the boost switch is pressed, so can a solenoid click and still not work properly?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum