Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 02:03 PM   #6
Old Goat & Grace

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.6
State: North Carolina
THOR #16478
Very safe

Yes, it was very safe. We loved the area, and the locals, most of them originally from Mexico. Because there's a huge port of entry there, I would imagine that most crime is not committed in the area - there's a lot of border patrol around. The locals told me they don't lock their doors and leave valuables in unlocked cars. Life here is very cross border, and the winter Texans told me they shop for groceries, and go to doctors, in Mexico. We didn't go on this trip, but would without hesitation in the future.

We also felt very safe in the RV park, which is large but not at all close to full occupancy. The owner, Maxine, lives there during the winter, and her daughter also lives there full-time. We quickly met all the people who were there, including the folks coming in for just a night or two along the way. We hiked in the desert and felt safe, too.

Truthfully, the terrain on the Mexico side is so rough, my thought was that anyone who could make it through the Chihuahan desert into the US would be exactly the kind of hardy and hard-working person we would want in our country!

The town of Presidio is poor, but we didn't find it threatening. I was stalked in my twenties, and so have a heightened sense of my own vulnerability, and was very pleasantly surprised how comfortable I felt there.

Don't expect much shopping! This is an area for natural beauty and relating to locals, and not your typical tourist area. For that reason, we loved it.
Grace

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.