Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsthomas1 View Post
I have a 2020 Chateau 27R and i want to upgrade to two batteries. The batteries I intend to use are the Duracell 27DCX, since 6 VDC golf cart batteries won't fit. I'm going to use two 24" cables to wire the batteries in parallel. My question is, what should the AWG of the cable be? Thanks
It all depends on the maximum current (amperage) you expect to draw from the battery. In other words, 1/2 of the total expected draw. Typically there is a 50 amp circuit breaker in the converter and the battery bank cable and a 100 amp circuit breaker on the cable to the generator starter motor and the jack motor. So, 4 ga will carry 100 amps (with a 3% loss), but to connect the batteries together, you would only flow 50 amps from each battery; thus the answer would be 6 ga. If you have an 1000 watt inverter, it should have a 100 amp circuit breaker, also; so the answer remains 6 ga is sufficient.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.