Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #66
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
That’s great that you can install 1,225 Watts of solar on your roof.

I’d expect that a typical solar system that size should make about 4 kWh of energy on average days. That’s over 300 Amp-hours daily so I expect you must have a very large battery bank.

The Volta system in newest Winnebago Travato that James of The Fit RV tested is based on 48-Volts nominal, and also the useable battery bank capacity is based on 90% depth of discharge. Hence useable capacity is about 10 kWh.

It would take about 2.5 days for a solar system your size to recharge that battery from 10% SOC. However, unless running Air Conditioner, the 16% of battery capacity James consumed daily would be easy to replace. The problem is that a van has so little room on roof that you’d never come close to installing that much solar. The Winnebago comes with 230 Watts and there’s not much free space on roof for a lot more.

The key to these high-capacity systems is air conditioning. If you’re not going to run A/C from batteries, none of this design makes a lot of sense in the first place.

I agree with James 100% on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Let’s talk about the elephant in the room.* This is what it’s all about!* When everyone talks about using large lithium batteries and large inverters in their RV, all they really care about is powering the air conditioner.* Anything else you typically run in an RV can get by with much less battery or inverter capacity.* The success of any RV power system is going to be measured by how long it can run an air conditioner.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.