Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #67
Squerly

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
That’s great that you can install 1,225 Watts of solar on your roof.
I'll admit, there isn't going to be a lot of extra room up there after the install.

And no, the limiting factors of his van renders solar a no-go. In this case, he really wouldn't have any other way to keep that size of batter bank charged unless he used a non-renewable energy source.

The video has good info in it but I think the headline "Does Solar Power Matter on RVs with Large Lithium Batteries?" is a bit ambiguous. Agreed, it doesn't matter in his van, but only because he lacks the room to mount enough panels to supply the battery bank. In my case, I do have enough room.

The application will direct the methods...

We have a creek that runs through our property and I've been working on setting up a Pelton Wheel to create power for a cabin that we hope to build. Even if the area were exposed to 100% sunlight for 8 hours a day, it could never produce like hydro. So even though the battery bank at the cabin will be approximately the same size as the motor home, using solar to keep it charged would be foolhardy.

I like alternate forms of energy and I tend to use them even when they are not the most inexpensive methods. Perhaps not the smartest approach, but hey, I find it interesting and somehow fulfilling. It may have something to do with my inner goals of acquiring self sufficiency.
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum