Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #11
dbcassidy

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #4392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I would not disable the auto retract. Like the vast majority of RV'ers if it got windy, I retracted the awning. Often I could just pull it in halfway, still get some shade, and much less awning surface to react to wind.
A word of caution concerning the auto retract. We became overly dependent on this feature. Many times over the past 3 years, this feature would work correctly: wind picks up, awning retracts. All was fine until recently, it did not retract, the wind destroyed awning arms, roller, motor drive, struts. We are blessed that no damage was done to the RV side nor roof. Called Carefree and it was explained to us that the auto retract has it limits. Once the wind gets under awning, all bets are off on the auto retract rolling up and saving the awning! We never receive any instructions from either Carefree nor the rv dealer we bought the Gemini from. The bad news, the awning is not covered by insurance (looking at other insurance companies in Mass.) The good news is no one got injured, and as mentioned above no damage to the rv. We decided to order directly from Carefree for a complete new unit. waiting for the package to arrive and will install ourselves. we already carefully remove the old, damaged awning. once the new unit is installed, adjusted, we we only use the awning when we are only in the rv. If we are out walking, driving, slight wind, at night - the awning will be retracted. We learned that from talking from other campers the destroyed awnings are pretty common. It happens a lot.

Sorry for the long story,

DBCassidy

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.