Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 05:45 AM   #29
MJC62

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
Thor Synergy is like Citation. Hitch weight limit is 5000 lbs. A 2014 or earlier Honda CR-V is about 4,250. We have been flat-towing ours for 3 years.
Hitch weight is not the limiting factor in what can be towed. It is the gross combined weight of loaded motor home and the toad, (the gcwr on the sticker located near the driver or on the driver door on your coach.)
My ACE has gross weight rating of 16000 lbs and a gross combined weight rating of 23000. My hitch is rated to tow 8000 lbs. Does that mean I can tow 8000lbs? Short answer is maybe . If my coach is fully loaded and weighs in at 16000 lbs and I tow an 8000 lb vehicle I am over the gcwr by 1000 lbs. I would have get the weight of my coach down to 15000 to haul that heavy a toad. Meaning less water, food, grill , charcoal, adult beverages maybe even the DW. Hitch weight rating only tells you what the HITCH can safely haul. The weight of your loaded coach actually determines how much weight you can haul.

Edit: 2020 Synergy is listed as GVWR at 11030 lbs.
GCWR is listed at 15250 lbs
If everything is right at the numbers on loading the coach a 4200 lb toad leaves very little margin
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum