Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 07:32 PM   #52
ducksface

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Our new pilot member is on his third attempt at getting the correct Mounts for his new steering damper, things go wrong and need anticipated.

Not everything needs to save you a couple of hours labor money by doing it yourself.

Everyone should consider their ability to lay under an rv for hours while using the wrong tools before they poopoo $128ph labor costs.

The pilot is many days wait for parts but he doesn't mind because he's in a park with no other traumas.
Three weeks of torn apart in your driveway because you can't modify a part is just silly when you knew upfront you might not be able to do the job. He's capable, the vendor screwed him a couple of times on a VERY common part, maybe one of their best sellers....
Now compound his ability and frustration against your inability, lack of knowledge to know its the wrong part and frustration...

Do I have projects that have ran a year because they need mods? Yup.
Is my reverse osmosis unit sitting in a bathtub while the stupid maker tries to find the parts number for the crap they cobbled together? Yup.
The difference is I'm tired of waiting on their sorry ass and I built an adapter to use the wrong parts they sent me.
I have a dedicated 8foot long bench for wiring and soldering and just electrical electronic stuff. No other work is done at that bench. Lots of tools, lots of practice yet I had cw install my inverter.
Here's what I told them:
'I'm smart enough to do this job, which makes me smart enough to hire you to do the job'.

Someone removing the wrong bolt(or right bolt) springing the whole system out of whack while not having the ability to retension everything, is due for a tow and double the original labor costs.

Not aimed at anyone
But
If you don't know how to do the job, maybe don't tackle the job.

The dyi is rampant here. Sumos are easy, until they're not. Trackbars are easy until the 250ftlbs of Torque comes into need. Airbags are, well airbags in front are indeed easy and almost foolproof.
Rear airbags? Possibly need modified, though the vendor won't tell you, because of dually clearance issues. You better have a grinder and a bender.

I didn't do my own suspension work because I know my limitations. I am pouring and milling my own uerathane sway bar bushings because I know my abilities.

Punchline:
'do not blindly go on the path of others'

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum