Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 02:40 AM   #36
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post

....cut....

To me, and this is only my opinion, the system is still 5 to 10 years from being readily available for application on an RV the average schmuck like me is willing to purchase.

....cut...
I think timing mostly depends on battery costs. If lithium batteries continue to drop at present rate, the systems will be available in a few years.

I also think that we will adopt the system's concept gradually. In reality it's already being done in smaller scale.

Some Class Bs already have a second engine-driven high-capacity alternator, large inverter/charger, and large battery bank. And no generator.

These innovative systems have been around at least a couple of years now, and are only limited by battery bank capacity, weight, and cost.

Since most high-end motorhomes will have inverters anyway, and a second alternator doesn't add that much cost (about $400), it comes down mostly to lithium battery bank cost. And at projected costs, 13.5 kW-hours of batteries should be around $4,000, the cost of a typical generator.

Buyers first have to perceive these kinds of systems as superior to generators before they give them a try, but in my opinion that depends greatly on battery bank capacity. That's why lower-cost batteries are so important.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.